I have been reading this that managers or immediate boss are responsible but i feel it is more inclined towards (weight age wise) compensation,personal growth, personal intentions and definitely the peer pressure. Nowadays people have a perception that if we switch than only we will be considered has smart people. It will be interesting to see what other thinks.....
Shishir Mishra, Senior Consultant, Hewitt Associates
07 02 2008 04:58:54 +0000
Yes. Pretty Much . People leave organization due to their bosses.
Following are the Main Root causes for people leaving the Organization and the Managers are Responsible for that.
1. Communications Not Open
2. Tasks based on their Strengths NOT ASSIGNED - Every one in the team dont have the same skills , capabilities and inclinations. Assigning Tasks without considering team members abilities will jeopardize the situation. If you are able to match tasks and skills , you will find commitment, ownership and energy increase while stress reduces.
3. Clear Goals and Objectives NOT SET Without properly directed from the leader, the team will not be motivated and they dont know what the expectations are. If you expect your team to arrive at a certain destination, proper guidance should be provided to indicate them "WHERE THEY ARE GOING" and "HOW THEY SHOULD GET THERE"
4. Roles and Responsibilties NOT DEFINED - After explaining team goals, Individual Roles and Responsibilities are to be defined, It is critical to ensure that all team members Know WHAT TO DO ? WHAT IS EXPECTED FROM THEM ? HOW THEY ARE EXPECTED TO DO THE WORK ? - These expectations and clearly defined , goals, roles and responsibilities could help improve productivity.
5. Productivity NOT Rewarded - It requires showing honest appreciation for the team efforts. Nothing is more demotivating for team members for getting their hardwork unnoticed. It is important to make sure that this does not happen. There are various to show appreciations examples - Team Lunch, Sending the team to Seminars/Conventions, Concerts, Sports events, cash rewards, shirts, bags etc. In case of budgetary constraints, Shake Hands, Simple word of Thanks in a Public Meeting, Email etc. Showing respect to Team Efforts will help the team repeat good work habits and actions that earned them appreciation and notice.
6. Suggestions Not Encouraged - Unfortunately every Project Managers hear "THERE IS A PROBLEM", None hears "THERE IS A SOLUTION". Encouraging team suggestions will make them motivated and empowered which in turn increase productivity.
RanjithKumar Panjabikesan, PMP, IT Account Manager, Delivery Director, Global IT
07 29 2008 11:23:38 +0000