By : Sulagna Brahma, Sr Reporter, Leading Indian English Daily
Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com
Activity: 7 comments 461 views last activity : 02 26 2011 18:25:03 +0000
Hi!! I was just going through this and thought all us should know it.
Highlights of the railway budget for 2011-12 presented in the Lok Sabha on Friday by railway minister Mamata Banerjee:
* No increase in fares.
* Earnings for 2010-11 set to exceed Rs.1 lakh crore.
* Working expenditure during 2011-12 estimated at Rs.87,000 crore.
* Outlay of Rs.57,630 crore for 2011-12, the highest investment in one year.
* Rs.10,000 crore to be raised through railway bonds.
* Budget combines strong economic focus with inclusion.
* Will develop business-oriented policies to aid industry.
* Happy to announce 85 PPP proposals received; set up single-window system to take these forward.
* Decided to set-up rail-based industries.
* Passing through a difficult phase; 97 percent increase in expenditure in 2010-11 due to implementation of Sixth Pay Commission report.
* Loss of Rs.3,500 crore in 2010-11.
* Ten-year backlog of 1.75 lakh jobs being addressed; 16,000 ex-servicemen to be given jobs in railways.
* Safety first priority; accident rate has come down.
* Anti-collision device, successful in North West Frontier Railway, to be extended to three more zonal railways.
* Railways always been a soft target but law and order a state subject. If railways are blocked in one region, this has a snowballing effect in other parts of the country.
* Will add 180 km of rail lines in 2011-12.
* All-India security helpline set up.
* New Durantos to be run on Allahabad-Mumbai, Pune-Ahmedabad, Sealdah-Puri, Secunderabad-Visakhapatnam, Madurai-Chennai routes, among others.
* Rail linkage to Gujarat from Delhi-Mumbai freight corridor.
* Integrated suburban network to be set up in Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad and other cities; suburban system of Hyderabad to be strengthened.
* Mumbai suburban system's EMU coaches to be increased from nine to 12.
* Pradhan Mantri Rail Vikas Yojna to be launched.
* Industrial park to be set up in Nandigram, West Bengal.
* Railways to set up factory in Jammu and Kashmir.
* To set up Metro coach factory at Singur, West Bengal.
* First coach from Rae Bareli factory to roll out in next three months.
* Work on wagon factory in Orissa to begin after land is acquired.
* Manipur capital Imphal to be soon connected to railway network.
* Centre for excellence in software to be set up at Darjeeling.
* Fund to be created for socially desirable projects.
* Central Organistaion for Project Implemtaiton created; will create accountability for non-performance.
* Work started on two dedicated freight corridors.
* Work on upgrading 442 stations to be completed by March 31.
* Decision to start pilot projects to give shelter to homeless people living along the tracks in Mumbai.
* Multi-purpose smart card to be introduced for all-India travel.
* Airport-like trolleys to be provided at more stations.
* Railways to set up a sports cadre.
* Upgraded class of air conditioned travel to be introduced shortly.
* To adopt modern technology through centres of academic excellence.
* Train to run to Bangladesh to showcase Indian culture.
* Age for senior citizen's concession reduced to 58 from 60.
* Concession for physically handicapped and gallantry award winners for travel in Rajdhani and Shatabdi expresses.
* 50 percent concession for mediapersons with families to be increased from once to twice a year.
Is there anything more we can ask for??
- Get advice for Courses on Offer
- Create a confidential Profile online
- Maximize awareness of and access to the best career opportunities
When we are watching news channels or any other channel or reading news papers you bump upon many articles which make no sense. Your instant reaction to them is why is it on this page! What are the subjects you think should not have any space in...
India is a free nation. People have rights but still women are struggling to come up. There is a lot of violence against women not only in India but also in other countries. So what can men who really want this to stop do? 1. Don't remain silent...
Coal scam : is there anything we can do?