Asked by : M NITIN SHENOY, PMP, IPMA-D, CEng MICE, Manager
Industry : Construction
Functional Area : Project Management
Activity: Question posted: 05 05 2009 05:16:21 +0000, 23 answers, 138225 views, last activity 06 25 2014 13:32:31 +0000
What is FSI - Floor Space Index and what are its significance interms of usage ..?
FSI means Floor Space Index, which is the ratio between the built up area allowed and plot area available. Like if FSI is 1 then on a plot of 100 sqmts, one can build 100 sqmts of built up area and with the setbacks and openspaces, the building can be higher than one floor. Simply it means that higher the FSI, higher built up area is possible...or more simply one can say higher floors to go with....
Technically,what Anjali has answered defines the FSI. In my opinion,FSI tells more than that of construction. The FSI limits the population of the inhabited area taking in to account transports,parks and other amenities. The purpose is to have healthy environment rather than a large number of cement structures.
as simple as that, FSI- Floor Space Index is the ratio between Total built up area and Total plot area, where there are certain structures or spaces to be excluded from built up area like:
1. SPace under a building constructed on stilts and specifically used as parking space.
2. any area used for parking open to sky.
3. Ramps leading to any area exclusively used for parking.
3. Chowks open to sky.
4. Area cover by otta, steps limited to height of 1.5 mtrs only and ramps, fountains, Septic Tanks, Water tank, swing frame, swimming poool, underground tank, overhead tank, well, boring, tubewell, reservoir and purification plant open to sky.
5. W.C., bathroom of servant quarters, motor garage, storage sheds as permitted in the rear marginal area of ground floor construction only.,constructed in the rear marginal distance upto length of 50% of the width of a plot of ground floor construction with maximum height of 3.6 mtrs and maximum total built up area of 25 sq.mtrs.
6. Architectural projection to the extent of 0.6M.
7. Elevated water tanks and space less than 2.0M.below elevated water tanks.
8. Stair,Ramps and Lift Cabin with Machine Room constructed on terrace to the extent minimum necessary.
9. Open shed of parking constructed in margins may not be considered as construction and hance shall be exempted from FSI and built Up Calculation.
I think this is a perpetual INDIAN Phenomenon..and situation would become worse if we don't embrace Mechanization to the Core and also train and engage/ encourage more skilled workforce and professional workpractices.. Gone are the days of enaging...
Hospital Construction Projects - What is so unique about it?
Subcontracting works forms the heart of executing project for any Main Contractor... While negotiating with the Subcontractor, there are various contractual terms to be considered and agreed upon.. Of these terms please highlight the most...